39th International Festival of Fashion, Photography and Accessories - Hyères
From 10th to 13th of October, 2024
Organized and produced by the villa Noailles association
Sign up and submit your dossier : December 12, 2023
Every Spring in the South of France, the Festival spotlights young promising artists in the fields of fashion, accessories and photography. The festival proposes diverse exhibitions, professional panel discussions and three competitions. The competitions showcase 10 fashion designers, 10 accessories designers and 10 photographers selected by a jury of professionals in each field. The work of the chosen candidates is presented to the jury and the public in either fashion shows (designers) or group exhibitions (accessories designers, photographers). On the last days of the month of April, as every Spring since 1998, the villa Noailles will once again become the epicenter for emerging photography.
The villa Noailles has been organising since 1997 a competition aimed at discovering and supporting the international young photographers. Ten finalists are selected by a jury of professionals in the sector (artists, gallery owners, curators, publishers, magazines, museums…). The ten competing photographers’ works are displayed at the villa Noailles in Hyères in a collective exhibition, produced by the arts centre and its partners.
For the finalists, this four-day festival is an opportunity to engage in one-on-one conversations with the jury members who determine the winners, and to meet the press, the professionals, and the audience.
The quality and the diversity of the jury members make the reputation of the competition, the participants of the previous editions include: Jean-Paul Goude, Peter Saville, Jeff Burton, Jason Evans, Marc Ascoli, Tyler Brule, Jörg Koch, Viviane Sassen, Craig McDean, Tim Walker, Melvin Sokolsky, Carla Sozzani, Peter Knapp, Oliviero Toscani, Walter Pfeiffer, Steve Hiett, Eric Pfrunder, Kamel Mennour, William Klein, Paolo Roversi, Bettina Rheims, Dominique Issermann, Pierre Debusschere.
Several photographers currently recognized come from the festival, such as Sølve Sundsbø, Charles Fréger, Camille Vivier, Cécile Bortoletti, Vava Ribeiro, Erwan Frotin, Luciana Val & Franco Musso, Amira Fritz, Anouk Kruithof, Lorenzo Vitturi, Sjoerd Knibbeler, Paul Rousteau, Anaïs Boileau, Louise Desnos, Luis Alberto Rodriguez.
A true springboard for young photographers, the festival has become an unmissable event for the players of contemporary photography and fashion who come there to spot talents. Encounters with the key players in these occupations are favoured by the atypical context of the villa Noailles that offers privileged conditions for dialogue.
-The competition is open to any photographer of at least 18 years old.
-The competition does not distinguish according to genre; portraits, landscapes, still lifes, fashion, etc. are all admissible.
-Given the festival’s dual identity — fashion and photography — it is hoped that candidate photographers will be interested in fashion photography.
-Personal works such as those ensuing from commissions (for institutions or editorial work) are accepted.
-If you are selected as one of the ten candidates presented during the 2024 edition of the festival, in addition to participating to the group show and portfolio reviews, you will be asked to:
Present a one-of-a-kind print based on a selection of American Vintage pieces
-Only photographers/artists who have not had an important exhibition in a gallery, or cultural institution of international importance, may take part.
-Please note that collective submissions - made by two artists only - are accepted providing the authors work on a regular basis together and have built a body of work together.
The competition consists of 2 rounds of evaluation.
Entries must be submitted at the latest on December 12, 2023 (see details below).
Following this first round, 60 approx. portofolios will be will be selected in December 2022.
All entrants will be informed whether they have been selected for the second round, or not.
Selected participants for the second round must send prints of the 20 images previously submitted in step 1 (see details below).
The 2024 jury will meet during the month of January to select the 10 shortlisted photographers who will take part in the festival.
In order to participate, please adhere to the following steps.
Submit your application by filling in the entry form and uploading your pictures files at the latest on December 12, 2023.
20 files in total, from 1 to 2 series submitted for the competition only.
If you are selected for the second round, send your prints
- If you have received an email informing you that your portfolio has been chosen; you must complete the following procedure:
- Send the corresponding prints for the 20 images previously uploaded on the website.
- Prints may be inkjet, traditional photographic prints, or lambda /light jet (any other format will be refused), they must not exceed the following dimensions: 30 × 40 cm (12 × 16 inches).
- Each print must be labelled on the reverse with your surname and first name, and the title of the series if applicable.
- A printed copy of the email you received after completing the entry form in the same envelope.
- Send on one or two A4 sheets a contact sheet of the pictures submitted with underneath each image the complete caption, Name, surname, title, series title, year.
For the return of your portfolio, provide in the envelope:
- If you live in France :
A self-addressed envelope or packaging with the correct postage.
- If you do not live in France, you can either:
provide the necessary self-addressed packaging for the return of your portfolio along with the sum of 20 euros as payment for postage of your portfolio (which must not exceed 2 kgs weight, or further costs will be incurred), payment to be made by:
Cheque in euros made out to Association villa Noailles
or Bank transfer to the account of
Association Villa Noailles
International Bank Account Number (IBAN) FR76 4255 9100 0008 0041 3879 136
Bank Identification Code (BIC) CCOPFRPPXXX
Precising the reference “PHOTO 2024”.
or cash (banknote of 20 euros only)
OR you may also attach a return on demand slip for a courier
(UPS/DHL/FEDEX or any other courier capable of returning your portfolio to the country of origin) along with any relevant account details.
The sender will be held responsible for any customs duty, taxes or fees which may arise due to the choice of courier. No such fees will be accepted on the behalf of the association, which reserves the right to refuse any portfolio.
Prints are provided for the sole usage of the competition and as such have no commercial value, it is recommended therefore to declare them as “documents, no commercial value” in order to avoid any fees or delays with customs.
OR if you would prefer your portfolio not to be returned, please attach a note specifying it.
villa Noailles – FIMPAH / Photographie
83400 Hyères – France
The festival will not be held responsible for any damage or loss which may occur during delivery or return.
- The sender is responsible for paying customs duties and taxes for the outward and return journeys, by opening an account with the chosen carrier.
- No customs fees will be charged by the association, which will refuse the file in this case, as well as for the return shipment.
- Files that are incomplete or do not include the necessary postage for the return shipment will not be retained or returned.
- The Festival cannot be held responsible for damage or loss during transport to and from the site.
- Only the solutions described in the regulations will be accepted.
The 2024 jury - a committee consisting of well-known individuals from the spheres of art/ photography, publishing and fashion-will sit during the month of January 2024 in order to select the ten photographers/artists who will exhibit in the festival.
All entrants participating in the second round of the competition will be informed of the results by end of January 2024 at the latest (no information will be made available by telephone).
If you have been selected :
- You will then be contacted by the festival’s team in order to discuss the presentation of your work
- You will have to provide the festival with your digital files in order to produce the exhibit prints (at the festival’s expense)
- You will be asked to shoot a series in the frame of the American Vintage Photography Prize.
- You must commit to being in Hyères du for about ten days during the festival period (the festival will cover expenses for bed and board).
- All selected participants must commit themselves to adhere to and respect the festival programme (which may be altered at the organisers’ discretion).
- The jury’s decisions for the selection of participants and during the festival are final and without appeal.
7L PHOTOGRAPHY GRAND JURY PRIZE
7L will support the winner of the Grand Jury Prize on:
- the production of a book published by the Éditions 7L
- the creation of a book launch event with the production of an exhibition
The winner of the Grand Prix of the Photography jury 7L will be offered anexhibition of his work at the villa Noailles during the following year’s Festival.
CHANEL is a partner of the Grand Prix of the Photography 7L, with a prize of 20,000 euros for the winner.
AMERICAN VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZE
Each of the 10 candidates preselected by the members of the jury must present a one-of-a-kind print based on a selection of American Vintage pieces. The 10 prints will be displayed during the entire duration of the festival at the Villa Noailles. The grant, whose value equals 15,000 euros (including 5,000 euros for theselected photographer), consists in a fashion photoshoot order. It will be awarded to one of the finalists by the jury
PRIZE AWARDED TO THE 7L PHOTOGRAPHY JURY
Kitten and Sheriff Projects affirm their support for emerging photographers. Their joint endowment honors the winner of the Grand Prix du Jury de la Photographie 7L during a special project and offers the winner 3 days of studio time and sunny side studio equipment.
PUBLIC PRIZE - CITY OF HYÈRES
The collaborations mentioned above are subject to change.
Métropole Toulon Provence Méditerranée
Villa Noailles BP 70176
83405 HYERES Cedex
T. +33 (0)4 98 08 01 98
Fondateur et directeur général