Interior design competition
DESIGN PARADE TOULON 7th international festival of interior design, JUNE 22 – 25, 2023
INTERIOR DESIGN COMPETITION RULES
Since 2016, the villa Noailles has committed to a new proposal in Toulon devoted to interior design and decoration, major fields of our decorative arts history.
In the tradition of the villa Noailles’ festivals, Design Parade Toulon gathers several exhibitions around a competition aimed at showing and supporting the new generation of interior designers, first project of its kind in France. Through this hub, the villa Noailles intends to increase its support to young artists by fostering encounters and exchanges between the young designers, the professionals, the audience, and the journalists.
DESIGN PARADE WILL BE HELD
IN TOULON AND HYERES FROM JUNE 22 TO 25, 2023
The Festival presents ten international young interior designers selected by a prestigious jury presided over by India Mahdavi, Vincent Darré, Pierre Yovanovitch, François Champsaur, Studio KO, Rodolphe Parente over the last years.
The competitors are asked to create a living area in a Mediterranean house which will be produced with the help of the Festival and its partners. Several exhibitions are scheduled in Toulon, besides the ten candidates’ projects, and constitute an itinerary through the city: a heritage exhibition, a photography exhibition, an exhibition on exceptional skills, etc. The exhibitions of the 10 competing interior designers are central to the festival, gathered in the historic city centre, within the Ancien Évêché de Toulon, at 69 cours Lafayette.
IN ORDER TO ENTER THE COMPETITION, PLEASE ADHERE TO 2 THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
- The competition is primarily open to young interior designers, interior architects and decorators aged over 18.
-∴ In 2022, the competition’s award was the Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon – Van Cleef & Arpels. The ten candidates also compete for the Visual Merchandising Prize awarded by CHANEL, the Prix Mobilier National.
∴- Collective applications (2 people maximum) are accepted.
∴- The project(s) proposed for the competition must not have been presented in a
cultural institution in France or in a European trade fair.
∴- We encourage you to create unprecedented projects.
∴- The projects already presented, such as school projects, will not be favoured.
The competion is an exercise in style: the layout, as a priority, of a living area in a villa by the Mediterranean Sea.
SUPPORTS AND PARTNERS
The project must be feasible with a budget of €1,500 (all taxes included).
The candidates can use a selection of materials, furniture and objects provided by the Festival’s partners. They will be put in touch following the selections
The candidates can find additional partners to carry out their projects but also get support from their States (embassies, foundations, etc.) and ideas for their decoration (from partner companies, antique dealers, etc.). The compensations must be approved in advance by the villa Noailles.
The villa Noailles also provides for a selection of objects and works created by the former winners and the friends of its Festivals: photographs, furniture, objects (E. & R. Bouroullec, Normal Studio, B. Pot, J.B. Fastrez, C. Guisset…).
The Festival covers the fees for the transport of furniture and objects from Paris.
The Festival covers the accommodation in Toulon, the transfer (from the accommodation to the exhibition place) and the catering of the selected candidates during the installation and the Festival only.
ONLINE REGISTER BEFORE JANUARY 31, 2023
Fill in the form in full providing all required information and download the kit of plans. Please, fill in one entry form for your participation in duo.
To validate your application, you have to answer to
email@example.com by sending a PDF file of maximum 12 pages (8 Mo) :
3 pages to illustrate your previous projects as a portolio (these projects won’t be presented to the jury). Mention « Portolio » on these 3 pages.
3 pages for each competing project (3 projects maximum) for the Grand Prix, including a statement of intent, a mood board, drawings and technical drawings, 3D views, data sheet, colour boards and materials, a list of furniture and objects, model photographs. Mention « Grand Prix Design Parade 7 » on these pages. If no current prototype exists, mention it.
1 page listing people who would like to participate in the jury (8 persons maximum)
Save your PDF in the following manner: firstnamelastname.pdf (ex. : john smith.pdf)
Save the reply email your received, to print it and join it to the parcel you will send in step 2.
COMPLETE AND SEND YOUR APPLICATION FILE BEFORE FEBRUARY 10, 2023
Only if you received an email mentioning your application has been shortlisted.
Your dossier MUST consist of the following:
- The file you previously submitted by email for the first phase, printed to A3 size and, if possible, original drawings (as little 3D as possible), the whole with your forename and surname.
- For the fourth Visual Merchandising Prize awarded by CHANEL, you will be invited to carry out during the installation a window project (1mx1mx60cm, the size may be modified) related to the Mediterranean theme, basing on the idea of space, balance, and luxury, and evoking the spirit and codes of the Maison CHANEL. These models will be showcased at the Ancien Évêché de Toulon, until the end of the Festival 2023. Attach an image or an illustration of this model.
- A cover letter and a CV detailing your education and experience solely in the design industry
- A printed copy of the email you received aner completing the entry form of the first step
You must provide a stamped, self-addressed parcel corresponding in size to your dossier.)
- A pre-paid parcel (such as Colissimo or Chronopost for entrants living in France)
- Or a parcel accompanied by a cheque in euros covering the full cost of return postage, made payable to the Villa Noailles
- Or a parcel combined with a bank transfer covering the full cost of return postage:
Association Villa Noailles
International Bank Account Number (IBAN) FR76 4255 9100 0008 0041 3879 136
Bank Identification Code (BIC) CCOPFRPPXXX
the transfer must specify that it is for DP TOULON 23
- Or a pre-paid parcel with a courier * (UPS/DHL/ FEDEX or any other courier who will deliver to the country of origin)
The completed dossier, in its entirety, must be sent postmarked on or before February 10, 2023 to:
Villa Noailles – DESIGN PARADE TOULON 23
47 villa Noailles
83400 Hyères – France
- The sender must accept the responsibility for any eventual taxes and customs charges.
- The villa Noailles will not take the responsibility for any fees incurred and reserves the right to refuse any dossier when this may occur.
- Any incomplete dossier, sent without the necessary return postage, will neither be considered for the competition, nor returned to the entrant.
- The festival will not be held responsible for any damage or loss which may occur during either delivery or return.
- The options described in this regulation are the only to be accepted.
NON-SELECTED APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED TILL THE END OF APRIL 2023.
A first professional selection will be held in early February 2023.
A jury of professionals will then gather around February 20, 2023 to make the selection of the 10 designers who will be exhibited for this new edition of the Festival.
The candidates whose file will be chosen for this final selection will be called personally by the organisation.
The ten selected candidates will be contacted to talk about the implementation of their project.
THEREFORE YOU WILL HAVE TO:
Provide your documents (texts and pictures of your projects) to the Festival Make a contractual commitment to be present in Toulon from Friday, 9 June to Monday, 26 June 2023 included
The accommodation and catering costs will be covered by the Festival
All the candidates having participated in the second step and who were not selected will be informed of the results the week following the selection at the latest by email (no answer will be given by phone).
All the selected designers commit to follow and adhere to the programme (which may be modified at the organiser’s discretion).
The decisions of the jury, made during the selection and during the festival, are final.
All the selected candidates commit to donate their book and presentation file (model) for the Festival’s archives.
The winners and finalists competing in Hyères will have to inform the Festival of collaborations with institutions, partners or competitors of the Festival within two years aner the date of the competion.
Other collaborations, not yet determined, with partners of the Festival are likely to happen.
Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon Van Cleef & Arpels
Throughout its history, Van Cleef & Arpels has consistently expressed its attachment to the values of creation, sharing and transmission. This unceasing commitment is expressed in particular through the support given to the creative talents of today and tomorrow. For the 6th consecutive year, the Maison is pleased to present the Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon Van Cleef & Arpels, awarded to one of the projects exhibited at the interior design festival.
The Grand Prix Design Parade Toulon Van Cleef & Arpels consists of:
- a grant of 5,000 euros provided by Van Cleef & Arpels
- the opportunity to collaborate with Delisle and create an exceptional piece worth 10,000 euros
- the development of a creative project in the world of decorative flooring that will be included in the house’s collections a support in image consulting and press relations during one year to the winner of the 6th Design Parade Toulon
- Carmignac Foundation, established on the island of Porquerolles since 2018 through the Villa Carmignac dedicated to contemporary art, has decided today to strengthen its links with the Villa Noailles by creating the Fondation Carmignac endowment. One of the winners of the object design or interior architecture competition, chosen in agreement with the Carmignac Foundation and the members of the juries, will be invited during a residency to create an object in line with the philosophy of the place the participation at the competition as jury member and a personal exhibition in Toulon, during Design Parade 7, in summer 2023.
VISUAL MERCHANDISING PRIZE AWARDED BY CHANEL
As a partner of the International Festival of Interior Design, the Design Parade Toulon, since 2016, the House of CHANEL is renewing its support to the festival for its 6th edition by awarding the Visual Merchandising Prize, established in 2019. This partnership reflects CHANEL’s ongoing and unrelenting commitment to creation. The 10 finalists of the 6th edition of the interior design competition make a model of a window display project linked to the theme of the Mediterranean, presenting an object, a decorative motif or an item of furniture inspired by a silhouette from the CHANEL Fashion collections. These models will be exhibited in the former Bishop’s Palace in Toulon until Autumn 2022. The House of CHANEL will award a grant of 20,000 euros to the winner of the Visual Merchandising Prize to complete a creative project to be exhibited at next year’s festival in 2023.
The prix Mobilier national
On the occasion of its 6th edition, the Mobilier national is once again associated with the villa Noailles around Design Parade Toulon with the Mobilier national Prize. This award offers the extraordinary opportunity to one of the ten finalists to develop a creative project with the « Atelier de Recherche et de Création » (ARC) of the institution. This workshop promotes contemporary design and has been collaborating with leading French designers since 1964. The prototype, created in collaboration with the Mobilier national, will be presented the following year in an exhibition designed by the finalist. This unique piece will become part of the national collections and will have the vocation to shine in the prestigious places of the Republic.
The Public Prize, City of Toulon
The kids Prize Design Parade Toulon
During summer, kids vote for their favorite designer who will be invited to Hyères in December 2023 to give interior design workshop during the Pitchouns festival.
For the 2023 edition, the above list of prizes is subject to change.
Centre d’art contemporain d’intérêt national
Métropole Toulon Provence Méditerranée
villa Noailles BP 70176
83405 HYERES Cedex
T. +33 (0)4 98 08 01 98
President Pascale Mussard
General Director, Jean-Pierre Blanc
Direction and curatorship Jean-Pierre Blanc and Julie Liger
The festival is organized by the Association villa Noailles.