DESIGN PARADE HYÈRES 17th international festival of design JUNE 22 – 25, 2023
PRODUCT DESIGN COMPETITION RULES
The festival revolves around an international competition open to young designers, which combines exhibitions and discussions. Through this innovative plateform, the villa Noailles aims to further its support for young design, whilst at the same time gathering together designers, members of the industry, journalists, and the general public.
There are 2 segments to the Festival: design in Hyères and interior design in Toulon.
DESIGN PARADE WILL BE HELD IN TOULON AND HYERES FROM JUNE 22 TO 25, 2023
Numerous talents revealed by the past festivals have since become essential names in the world of design: Eloi Chafaï, Adrien Rovero, Frank Fontana & Sébastien Cordoleani, Nacho Carbonell, Michel Charlot, Julien Carretero, Antoine Boudin, François Dumas, Eléonore Nalet, Jean-Bap’ste Fastrez, Brynjar Sigurdarson, Julie Richoz, Mathieu Peyroulet-Ghilini, Laureline Galliot, Laura Couto Rosado, Samy Rio, Maarno, ODD MaXer, Pernelle Poyet, Carolien Niebling, Sara de Campos, Gregory Granados, Cécile Canel & Jacques Averna.
The Festival’s tight-knit bonds with the design industry are one of its major assets: leading design companies sponsor all events and awards, and thus mark their engagement towards young talent. Designers that have taken part in the Festival as members of the jury count, to cite a prominent few: Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec, Hella Jongerius, Konstantin Grcic, Jasper Morrison, Naoto Fukasawa, Stefan Diez, François Azambourg, Bertjan Pot, Carole Baijings & Stefan Scholten, Pierre Charpin, Max Lamb, Inga Sempé, Philippe Malouin, Mathieu Lehanneur, Constance Guisset, Ineke Hans.
In 2006, the first edition of the festival has been headed by Andrée Putman.
IN ORDER TO ENTER THE COMPETITION, PLEASE ADHERE TO 2 THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
- The competition is open to all designers at least 18 years old.
- Collective submissions – made by maximum two designers – are accepted.
- The competition does not include the fields of fashion design, neither that of graphic design.
- Projects submitted for the competition must not have been previously exhibited neither in a cultural institution in France, nor at a European trade fair.
- Eco-design projects, excluding petroleum-based materials, will be encouraged.
- Everyday household object will be encouraged.
- We encourage you to create unprecedented projects.
- The projects already presented, such as school projects, will not be favored.
ONLINE REGISTER BEFORE JANUARY 31, 2023
Fill in the form in full providing all required information.
To validate your application, you have to answer to email@example.com by sending a PDF file of maximum 15 pages (8 Mo):
- 3 pages to illustrate your previous projects as a portfolio (these projects won’t be presented to the jury). Mention « Portfolio » on these 3 pages.
- 3 pages for each competing project (3 projects maximum) for the Grand Prix, consisting in a text, drawings and technical sketches, images of the prototype. Mention « Grand Prix Design Parade 17 » on these pages. If no current prototype exists, mention it.
- 1 page listing people who would like to participate in the jury (8 persons maximum)
- A cover letter and a CV detailing your education, solely your experience in the design field.
- Save your PDF in the following manner: lastname_firstname.pdf (ex.: smith_john.pdf)
- Save the reply email your received, to print it and join it to the parcel you will send in step 2.
A first professional selection will be held in early February 2023.
COMPLETE AND SEND YOUR PRINTED APPLICATION FILE BEFORE FEBRUARY 10, 2023
Only if you received an email mentioning your application has been shortlisted.
Your dossier MUST consist of the following:
- The corresponding prints for the projects previously sent my email, A3 sheet design and, if available, original drawings with your last name and first name.
- A cover letter and a CV detailing your education and experience solely in the design industry
- A A4 printed copy of the email you received aner completing the entry form of the first step
You must provide a stamped, self-addressed parcel corresponding in size to your dossier.
- A pre-paid parcel (such as Colissimo or Chronopost for entrants living in France)
- Or a parcel accompanied by a cheque in euros covering the full cost of return postage, made payable to the Villa Noailles
- Or a parcel combined with a bank transfer covering the full cost of return postage:
Association Villa Noailles
International Bank Account Number (IBAN) FR76 4255 9100 0008 0041 3879 136
Bank Identification Code (BIC) CCOPFRPPXXX
the transfer must specify that it is for DP HYÈRES 23
- Or a pre-paid parcel with a courier * (UPS/DHL/ FEDEX or any other courier who will deliver to the country of origin)
The completed dossier, in its entirety, must be sent postmarked on or before February 10, 2023 to:
Villa Noailles – DESIGN PARADE HYÈRES 23
47 villa Noailles
83400 Hyères – France
- The sender must accept the responsibility for any eventual taxes and customs charges.
- The villa Noailles will not take the responsibility for any fees incurred and reserves the right to refuse any dossier when this may occur.
- Any incomplete dossier, sent without the necessary return postage, will neither be considered for the competition, nor returned to the entrant.
- The festival will not be held responsible for any damage or loss which may occur during either delivery or return.
- The options described in this regulation are the only to be accepted.
NON-SELECTED APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED TILL THE END OF APRIL 2023.
A first professional selection will be held in early February 2023.
A jury of professionals will then gather around February 20, 2023 to make the selection of the 10 designers who will be exhibited for this new edition of the Festival.
The candidates whose file will be chosen for this final selection will be called personally by the organization.
The ten selected candidates will be contacted to talk about the implementation of their project.
THEREFORE YOU WILL HAVE TO:
- Provide your documents (texts and pictures of your projects) to the Festival
- Make a contractual commitment to be present in Hyères from Monday, June 19 June to Monday, June 26, 2023 included
The accommodation and catering costs will be covered by the Festival
All the candidates having participated in the second step and who were not selected will be informed of the results during the week following the selection, by email (no answer will be given by phone).
All the selected designers commit to follow and adhere to the programme (which may be modified at the organizer’s discretion).
The decisions of the jury, made during the selection and during the festival, are final.
All the selected candidates commit to donate their book and presentation file for the Festival’s archives.
The winners and finalists competing in Hyères will have to inform the Festival of collaborations with institutions, partners or competitors of the Festival within two years aner the date of the competition.
Other collaborations, not yet determined, with partners of the Festival are likely to happen.
Grand prix du jury Design Parade Hyères
The Grand Prix du Jury Design Parade Hyères consists of:
- A one-year research residency at Sèvres – Manufacture et Musée nationaux.
- A one-year research and production residency at the Cirva (International glass and visual arts research centre) in Marseille, to create a vase. This vase will be produced in triplicate: one for the Cirva collection, one for the permanent collection at the villa Noailles and one for the designer.
- American Vintage teams up with the Design Parade festival for the third year in a row. The brand will give the winner of the design category a grant and the opportunity to express his or her skills by creating a design piece in collaboration with the brand.
- Carmignac Foundation, established on the island of Porquerolles since 2018 through the Villa Carmignac dedicated to contemporary art, has decided today to strengthen its links with the Villa Noailles by creating the Fondation Carmignac endowment. One of the winners of the object design or interior architecture competition, chosen in agreement with the Carmignac Foundation and the members of the juries, will be invited during a residency to create an object in line with the philosophy of the place.
- The participation at the competition as jury member and a personal exhibition at the villa Noailles during Design Parade 17, in summer 2023.
For the 2023 edition, the above list of prizes is subject to change.
The Public Prize, City of Hyères
The kids Design Parade Hyères Prize
During summer, kids vote for their favorite designer who will be invited to Hyères in December 2023 to give design workshop during the Pitchouns festival.
Centre d’art contemporain d’intérêt national
Métropole Toulon Provence Méditerranée
villa Noailles BP 70176
83405 HYERES Cedex
T. +33 (0)4 98 08 01 98
Pascale Mussard, President
Jean-Pierre Blanc, General Director
Jean-Pierre Blanc and Magalie Guérin, Direction and curatorship
The festival is organized by the Association villa Noailles.